Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ugh...It's a Kidney Stone

I don't usually post about me, but thought I'd make this exception. Last night about midnight I woke up with a really bad pain in my side and stomach. I thought it was an upset tummy, but after an hour and a half I decided to call the women's center. I suspected it was a kidney stone, and they told me to come in and get checked out. I woke Jeff to tell him what was going on and around 2 a.m. I arrived at Alta View. I received a shot of Morphine and two bags of IV fluid. I thought the morphine would take the pain away, but I was wrong. It relaxed every other part of my body-EXCEPT my stomach. I thought I could get a little bit of sleep at the hospital, but I had forgotten how utterly uncomfortable those beds are, especially when my back, side, and stomach ached at this point.

Finally around 6 a.m. I left to go home. They sent me home with two Loritab. I took one right when I got home and it didn't help ease the pain either. I thought I'd come home to a rested house, but big man was in my bed, little man had been up twice and daddy hadn't slept much either. I avoided calling him because I didn't want to wake him-guess I should've. At this point, I realize I'm going to be pretty worthless for the day. This is the day when I've arranged for playgroup to meet at the splash park, Jeff had several appointments, etc. Not a good day to be sick. Jeff stayed home for a few hours in the morning and then his sister watched the boys for the morning. She took them over to my brother and sister-in-law's for the afternoon, and then my parents picked them up for the evening. They were little trooopers for being shipped around all day. I am so grateful to have awesome family around to help when needed.

My instructions before leaving the hospital were to drink fluids like crazy. I tried, believe me, but I couldn't keep any water down. I've thrown up more today than in all my morning sickness days combined. Ugh. The pain lessened in the afternoon enough for me to finally sleep. That was nice. I woke up feeling much better. I got the pain and nausea back around 5 or 6, but as of right now I'm feeling okay. I haven't passed the stone yet, but I hope to soon.

Thanks for all the calls of concern and sympathy and offers to take the kids. I appreciate it. I plan on feeling like a new woman shortly :)

1 comment:

The Shill Spill said...

Wow! Meggan! I am soooo sorry to hear about that...especially since there isn't a lot they can do with you beig pregnant, right? (Or would they do anything if you weren't?) Anyhow, I am sooo sorry to hear about what you are going through.
I hope your pain passes quickly! Good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. Will you?