Thursday, August 30, 2012

What was I thinking?

You're probably thinking, didn't she already redo a piano? Yes, I did a few years back. I didn't want to move the piano again since it weighs more than our house, so I sold it. It wasn't exactly the type of piano I wanted anyway, and I made money on the deal, so it was all good. That was over a year ago and I've been wanting another piano. I debated on getting a keyboard at Costco (they had some pretty cool ones), but decided a piano was the route I should go. Big Man said he wants to take lessons, but when it comes down to practicing, we'll see. I saw this piano on KSL for $300. Someone left it in one of the student apartments at BYU, so the manager was selling it. I only ended up paying $250 for it, but wanted to redo it, so I spent additional money on the paint stripper, stain, etc. Here are the before pictures:






This is an  in-progress picture.  I spent HOURS stripping down the existing stain.  It took a lot longer than I thought.  It's amazing the difference the new stain makes. 


And here is what it will look like finished.  I still want to add another coat and then put the varnish on, but I was truly amazed at how much better it looks.  I also have to add some hardware, tighten up the front legs, etc. but I think it's going to work nicely.

The best part is the keys are in perfect condition..  A little yellow, but the sound is great.  I've read some Internet tricks on bleaching the keys, so that will be a project for a later time.  For now, this works great.

2 comments:

Amy C. said...

Very impressive. I want a piano too. My kids play on a key board and about every few months their teacher talks to me about getting them a real piano for them :)

Connie Babe said...

absolutely gorgeous! great job!!