Monday, August 6, 2012

Lego Birthday Party for Big Man.

I told Big Man that he could have a friend party this year. He did two years ago and so it was time again! It gets a little confusing celebrating his birthday in the summer. His real birthday is Christmas Day, but it all works out.

He's really into Legos and so I scoured the Internet for a Lego-themed party. I got some cute ideas and games, and yet kept it pretty simple (at least compared to what some of the blogs did).

This game was to suck up Lego pieces with a straw.  I gave each of the kids a bowl to put them in and then I timed them to see how many they could get.

This is the little goody bag the kids got to take home.  I made the coloring books with some printables I found online.  I sewed it down the middle to keep it together.  I thought they turned out cute.  With school supplies being such a good price right now, I threw in a pack of crayons for each kid and then got some dollar store candy. 


What's a party without pin the something on something.  We made our own Lego man.  I drew and Big Man colored.  I used the Lego font I downloaded to create the numbers.

The little container of Legos was a getting started game I did as the kids were arriving.  They had to guess how many Legos were in the container.  The closest one won a prize.  The Lego on the left is a 'bomb'.  Big Man created this.  All of the kids sat in a circle, I turned on some music and they passed the bomb.  As soon as the music stopped, whoever was holding the bomb was out.  They really had a lot of fun with this game.

I did this game out on the deck and probably shouldn't have.  It was HOT.  Each plate had a different point value from 10-40.  I made some bean bags and then they took turns seeing how many points they could get.

I opted not to have a big cake that none of the kids would care about so we made some cupcakes. It worked out well.  I also got some great ideas off of Pinterest.  One was to scoop the ice cream before hand and put it in muffin papers.  That way when it was dessert time all you had to do was pass them out instead of scooping it up.  Only one kid objected to the muffin paper ice cream, so we just dumped his out on to the plate-problem solved :)

Another Pinterest idea was stringing up the balloons with a needle and thread.  It was super easy and it turned out cute.

I learned a few things with the party.  The first one is to limit it to an hour and a half.  I made it two hours and that was TOO long.  An hour and a half would've been good.  

The games went a lot faster than I thought.  Because we were ahead of schedule, we ended up opening presents earlier than I would've liked, so then all the kids wanted to play with everything.  It got kind of crazy.

Overall, I would say it was a huge success.  Big Man has more Legos than he knows what to do with (Ok-not really), but he should be set for quite a while.


Pin It

No comments: