Monday, March 7, 2011

Things I've Learned...

Today is day #9 of being sick. It's been a long 9 days, but I've learned a few things. First of all, let me just say this is not your average typical cold. That I can handle-life goes on. This is knock you out flat, no energy, can't stop coughing, can't breathe, or talk, can't sleep, tired beyond belief sick. I feel like I've been on bed rest for most of it.

So here are a few of the things I've learned:
1. Sometimes you have to accept help from others. My parents have been great to take the kids while Jeff has been working long hours, and they even brought us dinner last night. It is greatly appreciated. I also ran into a neighbor and friend up at the elementary school last week. We talked for a second and she felt so bad because I sounded so awful. About 1/2 hour after I got home she showed up with a Papa Murphy's pizza dinner for us. I was so touched at her kindness. It was definitely nice to not have to worry about dinner.

2. Sometimes you just have to take it easy. Not that there was a lot that I needed to do last week, but I like to keep up on the housework, dishes, etc. so it doesn't get too out of hand. Feeling the way I did, nothing got done. Looking back that's okay. I had to learn to listen to my body. It needed rest and relaxation above all.

3. That I shouldn't take my good health for granted. Overall, I'm a pretty healthy person. I get occasional colds, but nothing major. The last time I felt this sick was when I was at the MTC back in 1999. I had pneumonia. I remember feeling like I was going to die. This ranks right up there with that.

4. Heavenly Father knows best. Last week was my 38th week for this pregnancy. I have never gone past 38 weeks with either of the previous three, so I assumed (and hoped) that this one wouldn't either. Although I was disappointed that I didn't go into labor, looking back I am very grateful. There was no way I could've gone through labor and caring for a newborn when I felt as crummy as I did.

5. I have a great husband and kids. I of course already knew that, but I was reminded again at their goodness. The kids were troopers while I laid around doing nothing. They entertained themselves and didn't even fight quite as much. Jeff had a busy week at work, but Saturday and Sunday he took on full responsibility for meals, entertainment, etc. for him and the kids. It was nice to have a break. He's such a good dad and the kids adore spending time with him. He even spent three nights on the couch because I was coughing too hard for him to sleep by me.

The good news is that for the last two days I have felt a tiny bit better. I was kind of hoping for a miraculous overnight recovery, but I see now that it will be gradual. I just hope that by Thursday I am feeling a LOT better. I just talked to my Dr.'s office and I'm on the schedule to be induced. I will be 39 weeks that day. I really wanted to go into labor on my own, but I decided on the induction for a couple of reasons: 1-my Dr. will be going out of town after that. 2-the next weekend, Jeff has a trade show he has to be at. 3-I'm a little worried she won't go into labor on her own. With as much back labor as I've had I'm wondering if she's turned funny. I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see.

So stay tuned to Thursday to meet the newest Hansen addition. I know I'm excited to meet her.

1 comment:

Amy C. said...

Yay!! Thursday is so soon! I am sorry you have been sick and I'm glad your on the mend. Hope the rest of the family stays healthy! I feel great about inductions ... I've had 4. I love planning time off work, babysitters and everything else. Good Luck!!