Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I wanted to write down some of my feelings about 9/11. I turned on the TV for background noise tonight while I was doing my grading and watched two different 9/11 specials. The first one was a documentary on the fire fighters and the second started out with a tribute to the kids born to fathers who died in 9/11. I didn't think I would be so emotional about all of it, but I am. What really got me was listening to these sweet children who are growing up without a father. They know their fathers deaths were tragedies, but they seem happy and well adjusted.

I'm also saddened by the news of the fire fighters who are struggling today 10 years later with feelings of guilt because they survived. There continues to be victims of 9/11 today. They talked about the firefighters who have died of cancer they think is related to breathing the toxic fumes at ground zero.

10 years have gone by really quickly for me. When 9/11 happened I was up at Utah State. I remember listening to my radio getting ready for school and hearing about it. On campus all the TV's were showing images of the towers. I remember feeling like I wanted to go home and be close to my family. My next reaction was, how can I help? I wanted to give blood or do something even though I was so far away. I remember it being an emotional day. On the anniversary every year, I remember what happened, but I feel pretty removed from the tragedy. I didn't lose a loved one or even know anyone that did. But for some reason this 10 year anniversary has really made me think and reflect.

I'm grateful to those who selfishly give of themselves to help protect others. Amidst all the tragedy and sadness, there are acts of courage, bravery, selflessness. It reminds me that people can be good, kind, and giving towards others.

It will be interesting to see what the next 10 years bring.

No comments: