Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Bittersweet Day...

Today was a very rare and special opportunity for me. I watched my friend's little boy while she went to her daughter's funeral. Then tonight, I went to the memorial they had at the church for her. Saydria was only 7 months old when she passed away earlier this week. At two months old she was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). Her nerves never developed and a lot of her systems started to deteriorate. Her mom kept her at home to keep her germ free. Even a simple cold could be devastating.

It's been a trying time for the family, but they continue to amaze me with their faith, strength and example. I don't know how you would get through something like this without the gospel. Even with the gospel, it's still hard.

The memorial held in Saydria's honor tonight was a beautiful celebration of her life. The church was beautifully decorated with hundreds of pictures of the sweet little girl. For being so young, they sure had a ton of pictures of her. In half of the cultural hall, they played a video presentation of Saydria. It was hard to watch. It was precious and beautiful, but also a little bittersweet to see her brothers holding her and playing with her and know that they won't get to grow up with her.

I just wanted to write down some of my feelings while they were fresh in my mind. When I came home tonight, I gave my kids a kiss and thanked my Heavenly Father for the opportunity to raise them.

3 comments:

emlouisa said...

This made me cry. Thanks for the reminder of how precious our kids are and how short life is.

Amy C. said...

Ohhh, I'm feeling a bit sad too.

Janille said...

That is such a sad story! I have had a friend loose 2 babies from SMA. It is hard to watch! The gospel is amazing! My heart goes out to that family!