Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lamb Day and other fun.

Yesterday was my 8th annual Lamb Day in Fountain Green. It's always fun to see Jeff's friends and family. I just don't understand why it has to be so blasted hot. The kids had a great time at the parade. They got enough candy to last weeks. We also spent some time at the Hanson home with friends and family. The rest of the afternoon was spent in the park. I took the boys to play some games. They got lots of fun prizes (most of which are already broken) After that they played on the playground. The nice thing about the playground is that it's completely shaded. I pushed big man on the swing for what seemed like forever. After a while he said, mom I'm going to throw up. He threw up on the grass. I think he got a mild case of heat stroke. We poured some water on his head and gave him lots to drink. He was fine after that. Poor little dude. It was a fun day, but I was sure happy to have air conditioning both in the car and at home.

In other news, Baby H is finally crawling. She never did the army crawl like the boys. She went straight to hands and knees. It's fun to watch her. She's also pulling herself up on stuff. She's a little monkey :) I will get some pictures this week!!!

Last week for family home evening, we tried something fun to help the boys clean up their language. Apparently my mom did this with me and my brother when we were young. Now their language is not horrible, but definitely not nice words for little boys to be saying. The word of choice around here is 'poop'. I wrote a bunch of words on some word strips and put them into a bowl. There were both nice words and naughty words on the strips. The boys took turns picking out the words and deciding if it was a nice word or a naughty word. The naughty ones got thrown in the garbage.
They had so much fun with this activity that once it was over, big man wanted to do more. He got out his markers and paper and wanted to write some more words. "Mom how do you spell penis? Nothing like spelling out words like this for your son to throw in the garbage. It helped for about a day, now big man is back to his 'potty mouth'. Any suggestions from you experts out there???

3 comments:

Janille said...

I MISS Lamb Day! It sounds like you had a great time! Where were you guys when we used to have a lunch at grandpa's every year? Man I MISS them! Did you ever have a chance to meet grandpa? If you think Ft. Green is hot...come down here!

I love your family night lesson! We must be at the same stage. My girls are making me NUTS with their potty mouth lately! Everything has to be a trash word and then they just laugh. My friend was telling me about what she has done that has worked for her. She calls it "sassy spray" it is vinegar water that she put in a spray bottle and she sprays it in there mouth EVERY time they say a trash word or sass off. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but I am getting there!

emlouisa said...

Glad you had fun at Lamb day! Wish we could have been there, but kind of not because it sounds SO HOT! I can't believe he threw up! Yuck. I would throw up too probably.

The potty mouth thing, we think differently about it than you guys do. I feel like if they are not saying the "big" swear words then we are all good. I don't have a problem with them saying poop or anything like that because I feel like if I made a big deal of it they'd just say things to get a rise out of me. As long as they're not saying the S or F word I'm good with it. lol. Makes things a lot easier and we haven't had a problem yet with them getting in "trouble" with bad words.

Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks and to see Baby Girl CRAWL!!!!

Amy C. said...

We have talks about potty words every day! I think it is a BOY thing. My girls aren't nearly as bad. I like your idea though -now I have a FHE for tonight. My biggest problem is that Dad thinks it is funny! How do you teach a grown man not to talk about farts?